Detailed Terms and Conditions are specified in each Property Rental Agreement and may vary with individual properties. Typically, the seasonal schedules vary slightly between properties that are licensed to rent nightly or weekly, and properties that are advertised as monthly or seasonal rentals. Our Standard Rental Policies and Procedures are as follows:
- Published rates are subject to change without notice.
- Please contact us to confirm rates.
- Published rates do not include the 7.5% State sales tax and 5% County tourist tax, processing fee, cleaning fees, and other additional fees associated with some properties.
- Prices fluctuate depending on the season, and seasonal schedules may vary with individual properties.
- Festival and holiday rates are generally 20% to 25% higher.
- Please contact us to confirm rates as rates are subject to change without notice.
Reservation and Payment Schedule:
- Upon reservation of a property a written rental agreement is provided which specifies detailed terms and conditions for the rental.
- Once the signed agreement and initial deposit is received, the rental reservation is confirmed with a written confirmation.
- An initial deposit of 50% of the total rental, taxes, and any associated fees is required to confirm the rental.
- Total balance payment is due 60 - 90 days prior to arrival (depending on property, see your rental contract).
- Payments may be made via personal or certified check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Personal checks are not accepted for payments made two weeks prior to arrival.
- Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express credit cards are generally accepted. Please check with our staff to find out which payment methods are acceptable for your property.
Security / Damage Deposit:
- The security deposit is due with final payment. Visa, MasterCard, Discover, personal check or certified check are accepted for the security deposit. When a credit card is used it is only charged if damages occur during guest stay, or if extraordinary cleaning, excessive laundry beyond normal usage and telephone charges occur during guest stay.
- If a check is used for the security deposit, the check will be deposited, and a refund check will be issued within 60 days of departure.
Pool and Jacuzzi Heat:
- Pool and Jacuzzi heat are optional features for most properties. Due to our island location, our electricity comes from Miami and is extremely expensive in Key West. The cost for this additional amenity is our cost to run the heat. If you decide you want this service, please let us know and we will heat the pool and/or Jacuzzi for you. Note: Recommended in Spring and Winter months.
- All properties require a departure cleaning fee which is over and above the rental fee. Fees charged vary by property depending on the size of the property and the housekeeper charge. Properties rented for more than one week generally require maid service in addition to the departure cleaning fee.
- Guests agree to report any damage that they find or cause immediately to the rental representative.
- Guests assume all responsibility for behavior of self and their guests and agree to abide by all rules and regulations of the property.
- Properties are privately owned and are in residential neighborhoods and are not suitable to stage loud parties. Should guests' behavior necessitate eviction including a complaint of noise or any other violation set forth by the County of Monroe in the City of Key West, all prepaid rents and deposits shall be considered earned.
- No occupants under the age of 25 are allowed unless accompanied by parent or guardian. Only the number of adults and children specified in the rental agreement can stay as guests for the rental.
- Guests are responsible for the completion and timely return of any rental forms, including but not limited to rental agreement, security deposit forms, check-in procedure forms and any required lease approval forms.
- All keys given to guests must be returned or pay a $50.00 lost key fee. If a guest loses their key during their stay there will be a $50.00 delivery fee. In the event of a 'lock out' there will be a $50.00 fee for an emergency unlocking service.
- When we receive your final rental payment and security deposit you will have access to the Welcome Packet for the property you have rented on your Guest Portal. The Welcome Packet is a useful guide that provides detailed directions to the property and a wonderful local's guide to favorite restaurants, conveniences, and points of interest you may want to visit during your stay. You will have access to the Welcome Packet on your Guest Portal for the duration of our stay, so you can access if on your smart phone, iPad, or notebook.
Check-In Procedures: Properties are available for check-in at 4:00 p.m.
- CHECK-IN EMAIL: You will receive an email 5 days prior to your arrival date. This email will instruct you on how to finalize online check-in arrangements. Online check-in must be done prior to your arrival to Key West or your check-in may be delayed. The person who signs the rental contract shall be the sole person designated to receive the check-in details from VHKW - Vacation Homes of Key West.
- ONLINE CHECK-IN REQUIRED IN ADVANCE: It is the responsibility of the person who signed the rental contract to do the online check-in on your guest portal, AT LEAST TWO (2) to FIVE (5) DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, to go over check-in procedures and to read the instructions on how to gain access to the property. The check-in email is provided to the person who signed the rental contract 5 days prior to your arrival. Only the person who signed the rental contract will have access to the check-in instructions or directions to the property, for privacy and security reasons.
- HOW TO GET THE KEY: Depending on the property you rent, you will be provided with a keypad code, or a key will be left in a lock box for you on the premises. Only the person who signed the rental contract will be given these instructions at the time of the CHECK-IN EMAIL. Other guests must rely on the person who signed the rental contract as their point of contact with us, for privacy and security reasons.
- EARLY CHECK-IN: Please do not count on an early arrival. While we do our best to accommodate requests for early arrivals, please be advised that an early check-in is at the discretion of our executive housekeeper and is only possible if the rental property you are renting is prepared for arrival and approved in advance by our staff the week of arrival.
- NOTE: Please understand that we have multiple properties where guests are checking out and new guests are checking in on the same day. We need time to prepare your rental property for your arrival. Housekeeping and maintenance professionals must have access to all properties from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for cleaning and maintenance after check-out and prior to check-in.
- Late arrivals are fine but must be arranged in advance.
Properties must be vacated at 10:00 a.m.
- Check-Out Day: Please understand that we have multiple properties where guests are checking out and new guests are checking in on the same day. We need time to prepare the rental property you are vacating for the arrival of the next guests. Housekeeping and maintenance professionals must have access to all properties from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for cleaning and maintenance after check-out and prior to check-in.
- Late Check-Out: Please do not expect or plan on a late check-out. If there are no new guests scheduled to arrive on the day of your departure, a late check-out may be possible and can be requested by emailing the office at email@example.com during office hours. However, a late check-out is at the discretion of the executive housekeeper and maintenance staff and is only possible if no new guests are scheduled to arrive at the property on the day of your departure.
- Smoke-Free Homes: Our vacation rental properties are smoke-free homes. If you smoke inside the property, you will be charged an additional minimum $500. fee for professional smoke odor removal and deodorization services. Ask our staff if smoking is permitted outside on outdoor decks or property grounds. If smoking is permitted outside, please use provided ash trays. If you leave cigarette or cigar butts on decks or grounds, you will be charged an additional $150. fee for cleaning the outside area of smoking debris.
- Please note that only a few properties allow pets.
- Please be sure to obtain prior approval to bring your pet or you may risk eviction. If a pet guest is approved, there are pet fees associated for pet stay which included daily rate plus an additional pet cleaning and departure flea spray.
- For cancellations made 60-90 days (depending on property, see your rental contract,) or more prior to arrival date, the guest is entitled to refund less a cancellation fee. Cancellation fees for larger properties, such as Estates, have a higher cancellation fee. Cancellation fees are specified in the rental contract.
- There are no cancellations for some holidays and special events. Some properties do not allow cancellations once a rental contract is confirmed. Please see your rental contract for details on your rental property.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and acknowledged by Vacation Homes of Key West.
Construction or Repairs Near Vacation Rental Properties
- Key West is a resort island where renovation of existing historic properties, new construction, and road repair sometimes occurs without forewarning in the area where our vacation rentals are located and is beyond our control. Vacation Homes of Key West is not liable for any guest annoyance due to construction in the neighborhood or nearby the vacation rental property our guests have rented. We cannot make refunds or re-locate guests due to the inconvenience of construction or repairs.
- Hurricane refunds or rescheduling because of a hurricane event are not offered. Tenants are advised to purchase trip cancellation and interruption insurance to protect their vacation rental investment from costs due to an impending storm, hurricane warning, or mandatory evacuation. This insurance offers a comprehensive cancellation and interruptions policy which protects your rental property investment in the event of a cancellation due to a sudden emergency before or during your trip.
Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance:
- Guests are provided information on trip cancellation and interruption insurance and provided basic rate information and instructions on how to purchase this insurance to protect their vacation rental investment. Guests are advised to purchase this insurance if they are concerned about cancellation.
- Apply here for Travel Guard Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance.